Default My mom has lung cancer, can I donate a lung?

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    I just found out about 20 minutes ago my mom has Lung Cancer. I'm not sure how bad it is but if both of her lungs has cancer, can I donate one of my lungs so they can remove both of hers?

• Advertising

Default Re: My mom has lung cancer, can I donate a lung?

You need your lungs in order to stay alive, so you can't donate them. Lung transplants always come from deceased people. Even if you could donate a lung, there's no guarantee it would have the right immune markers for your mom's body to accept the new lung.

I wish your mom the best in her battle with lung cancer.
    hehe
    p101 moderator

(Bobby)

I have nothing really to add as HeHe put it correctly. I just want to say: Best wishes and good luck. Your mom can look into getting a lung from a deceased person... there may be artificial lungs... see this USAToday article; I'm sure those are expensive, but it's worth investigation.

Best Wishes!
    Bobby

GovHomie- Dylan
    GovDiplomats- Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge on AIM
    call the cops on them
    Quote Originally Posted by Me to Jorge
    call the cops on my dad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    yes
    Visit The World
    Visit GovChat

(Tyler)

Lung transplants always come from deceased people.

Not always there are living donors that donate one lung... it is not done often however... it can be done if a person has a difficult match as far as genetic markers go... A human can survive on one lung if they were previously healthy and had no pulmonary problems...
    Peace out and God Bless,

Tyler Johnson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    THIS QUOTE WAS JUST TO GOOD NOT TO PUT IN A SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_23 View Post
    Sperm is basically the Michael Phelps of the testicles.

Well I was doing some reading and i read that lung transplants are possible. A living donor can donate one lung and hope another match is found.

I'm not sure how sever the case is but I want to be honest and I want an honest answer.

I really don't want her to die within the next year.
    Would it be possible to donate both of my lungs to my mom in return for her lungs if we are a match?

(Tyler)

No not at all because of her lungs have cancerous cells... a doctor would not knowingly allow a patient to receive a set of diseased lungs... for a doctor to do that would be extremely unethical and against the Hippocratic oath that all doctors must take (at least state side all doctors take it). The most that you could give to your mother would be one lung....
    Peace out and God Bless,

Tyler Johnson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    THIS QUOTE WAS JUST TO GOOD NOT TO PUT IN A SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_23 View Post
    Sperm is basically the Michael Phelps of the testicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger324 View Post
    Well I was doing some reading and i read that lung transplants are possible. A living donor can donate one lung and hope another match is found.

I'm not sure how sever the case is but I want to be honest and I want an honest answer.

I really don't want her to die within the next year.
    Would it be possible to donate both of my lungs to my mom in return for her lungs if we are a match?
    It's sweet of you to want to give your mom your lungs, but frankly, it's just not feasible to give both your lungs. Giving one lung is something to talk to her doctor about, if it is possible. It will have to be a match, though, and there are risks that her doctor may or may not feel are worth taking in your mom's case.

Lung cancer is not a particularly curable cancer, and your mom's prognosis really depends on how early the cancer was caught. Overall, the odds of surviving five years are 15%; it will be more if the cancer was caught early and less if it was caught late. Those aren't particularly uplifting statistics, but hopefully your mom will have at least a couple more years left. The one case where your mom may survive a bit longer is if the cancer is localized, i.e. it hasn't spread. If that's the case, she has about a 50% chance of surviving 5 or more years.

Again, I wish your mom the best in her battle, and I hope that you're able to have many great memories with her in the coming months, year, or hopefully many years.
    hehe
    p101 moderator

Thread Information